by Judith G. Cobb, MH, CI, NCP
This article is not meant to diagnose or prescribe. It is meant for educational purposes only. Judith Cobb, Cobblestone Health, and Nature’s Sunshine Products accept no responsibility for results you get, whether good or bad, from using this information. Always seek the guidance of a qualified health professional.
Note: More information about the products mentioned can be found at the end of the article.
I can’t count how many people I know right now who have come down with a nasty infection. They seem to be sporting the same symptoms as each other – sore throat, cough, sinus congestion/runny nose, headache.
When someone tells me they are starting to get sick, I often ask a couple of questions: 1) what has your stress level been like over the past four weeks? 2) what has your nutrition been like over the past four weeks? I can pretty much tell them what their answers will be before they open their mouths!
While we can’t always avoid stress, we can do many things that will help us stay well. Here are my top 12 tips to help you keep your immune system strong during cold and flu season.
- Eliminate all refined sugar in every form from the diet. Sugar paralyzes the white blood cells for at least six hours at a time. Easter candy is a no-no, as are Christmas sweets and Valentine’s sweets, too. Pop, flavored water, and juice are not good for your immune system. Banish them! We always see a dramatic increase in colds and flus after Halloween, Christmas, Easter, and (to a lesser extent) Valentine’s Day. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that these just happen to be our ‘sugar-feast holidays.’
- Drink lots of plain, clean water. This helps to flush out toxins and keeps mucous membranes moist so they can rinse themselves. Do not drink pop/soda, artificially flavored or colored beverages, or artificially sweetened beverages. If you feel ‘sinusy’ or ‘throaty,’ increase your consumption of warm drinks such as hot water, hot water with lemon, or good, caffeine-free (not decaf) herbal teas. My all-time favorite is hot water with fresh-squeezed lemon, a little honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper (capsicum). It may seem strange, but that pinch of cayenne is very soothing.
- Get enough rest. If you feel run down, rest more. Fatigue is often the first sign that your immune system is working harder. I’ve seen it more times than I can count. When someone is fatigued, if they slow down and get more rest, they can often beat the infection in a couple of days. If they keep pounding out their normal daily routine, they collapse and get sick, often for weeks.
- Get daily physical activity. This is the single most important thing you can to do protect your lymphatic system on an ongoing basis. Daily exercise keeps the lymphatic system flushing, which means toxins are being moved out and nutrients are being moved in. The lemurs in the movie Madagascar got it right when they sang “I like to move it, move it, move it.” You should, too. 30 – 60 minutes per day of sweating is good for you!
- Nature’s Sunshine Silverguard liquid (Silver Shield in the USA) has been proven to kill many types of microbes (and holds patents to that effect). Consume small doses of the liquid daily during ‘at risk’ seasons. Silver Shield Gel is a great alcohol-free hand sanitizer. These products are totally safe for toddlers and infants also.
- Build and support the immune system. For kids, use rosehips. Adults can use LYM-MX. These two supplements provide a vast array of nutrients that bolster the immune system in ways that vitamin C alone can’t.
- Vitamin D3 is reported to be a valuable immune support. There is so much we don’t yet know about vitamin D. What we do know is that vitamin D supports the immune system, moods, and bone density. Many medical doctors are recommending upwards of 4,000 iu per day.
- Eat your veggies – at least one fist-size serving for every 25 lbs of body weight every day. Eat more servings as often as you can. Remember to get as many colors in your veggie choices as possible. The rule – ‘eat a rainbow every day.’
- Eliminate stress. Hugs & kisses & love & laughter & fun are some of the best immune builders. They help to dissolve stress. Not to mention – laughter has been shown to be great for digestion and an excellent immune booster on its own!
- Avoid constipation. A sluggish bowel provides a breeding place for microbes. The best ways to combat constipation on a daily basis are: drink lots of water (1/2 ounce of water for each pound of body weight), eat lots of veggies (they are great for fibre), eat lots of yellow- and orange-colored veggies (these contain higher amounts of magnesium which often helps the bowel to move better), and walk at least 30 minutes per day (walking massages the gut and helps to stimulate the bowel). Using probiotics (such as Probiotic Eleven) daily may be helpful, too.
- We have been seeing good results with Nature’s Sunshine Products High Potency Garlic, Cat’s Claw, and Olive Leaf Extract when people start to develop symptoms. You probably don’t need all three at once, but do consider using at least one of them alongside Silverguard Liquid. When anyone in my family tells me they are starting to ‘go under’ with an infection, I usually tell them to take double the amount the bottle recommends.
- If you do develop symptoms, use the “Sweat, Soak, Sleep” method. Do something vigorous to generate some heat and sweat for 30 minutes, then have a hot soak for 30 minutes. (Be sure there is someone home to help you get out of the tub in case you get light-headed.) Then go to bed to rest/sleep for at least 12 hours. What I am seeing is that people who do this get better faster – often overnight. People who ‘tough it out,’ crawling around in their ‘head-achey, body-achey, sore throat, painful chesty cough’ misery are staying sick much longer in spite of taking the good herbs!
If you have concerns about your health, or just don’t know where to begin making improvements, please contact me, Judith Cobb, to book an appointment. Skype, phone, webinar, and face-to-face appointments are available. I also invite you to like us on facebook and visit our other websites:
FB: Cobblestone Health
Products referred to above:
|Nature’s Sunshine Products CANADA||Nature’s Sunshine Products USA|
|Silverguard Liquid||Silver Shield w/Aqua Sol|
|Silver Shield Gel||Silver Shield Gel|
|Vitamin D3||Vitamin D3|
|Probiotic 11||Probiotic Eleven|
|High Potency Garlic||High Potency Garlic|
|Cat’s Claw Combination||Cat’s Claw|
|Olive Leaf Extract||Olive Leaf Extract|
Note: Dr. Mercola (see www.mercola.com) is saying that people should only use supplements that are NSF GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) certified. Nature’s Sunshine Products is certified and meets those standards on its regular audits! Why would you even consider using anything else?
Copyright © 2015 by Judith Cobb, Cobblestone Health Ltd. All rights reserved. Please respect the time it takes to write and publish articles. If you will link to this article and give proper attribution, you are encouraged to quote sections (though not the entire article).