by Judith G. Cobb, MH, CI, NCP
This article is not meant to diagnose or prescribe. It is meant for educational purposes only. Judith Cobb, Cobblestone Health, and Nature’s Sunshine Products accept no responsibility for results you get, whether good or bad, from using this information. Always seek the guidance of a qualified health professional.
Note: More information about the products mentioned can be found at the end of the article.
A few weeks ago we looked at candida: what it is and how to tell if it’s a problem for you. I promised we’d look at solutions.
I have worked with many clients who, after looking at the symptom checklist, said, “That’s me! They know everything that’s wrong! Does this mean I’m not losing my mind?” I’m not a psychiatrist, so I can’t diagnose mind loss, but when someone reacts that strongly to the list of candida symptoms, it’s a safe bet they have a candida overgrowth. So, now, what to do about it?
Getting candida under control is not quick or easy. It takes persistence, determination, and focus. The diet is strict – and that means absolutely no cheating for at least six weeks. Sometimes it takes longer – and you’ll know by your symptoms if you need more time – but we always give it at least six weeks. Fortunately, the supplements are few.
The Anti-Candida Diet
The diet must eliminate all foods that either feed yeast easily or are prone to high mold content. These must be eliminated:
– all sugars, refined and raw (e.g. sugar, honey, molasses, maple syrup)
– all fruit in all forms including dried and juices (e.g. especially melons, blueberries, tropical fruits)
– all nightshade vegetables, due to their solanin content (e.g. potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant)
– all foods containing vinegar
– all foods containing yeast (e.g. bread, crackers, most processed foods)
– all cheese and other aged foods
– all fermented foods, including soy sauce and alcohol
– all mushrooms
– coffee, tea
– tobacco products
– all leftover cooked foods, even those stored in the fridge. (They begin germinating mold within just a few hours. If you made extra, cool it quickly in the fridge and then freeze it as soon as possible. When you’re ready to use it, take it out of the freezer, defrost it, and heat it through as quickly as you can, again to avoid giving mold a chance to germinate.)
– for especially serious cases, may also need to avoid wheat
After reading that list you are probably asking “What’s left? Water and air?” Not quite. Here’s the safe list:
– animal proteins (e.g. poultry breast, salmon, trout, lamb, eggs)
– vegetarian proteins (e.g. lentils, legumes, nuts, seeds)
– all vegetables not listed on the “to be eliminated” list. (Keep in mind that once raw veggies have been washed and cut they need to be eaten in short order, not stored. Storage potentially allows mold to start up.)
– nut butters
– whole grains (e.g. brown rice, millet, etc.)
– red-skinned or Yukon gold potatoes, in small amounts (these contain less solanin)
– may include white milk, plain yogurt, sour cream, and plain cream cheese if not contraindicated by other conditions. (Commercial items are pasteurized and prepared in sterile facilities to minimize the risk of introducing mold. Homemade yogurt may be riskier.)
– herbal teas
How does this list of food translate into real meals? Here are some menu ideas:
– poached egg on allowed pancake or rice cake
– whole grain pancake with butter and cinnamon
– homemade vegetable soup with whole grain baking powder biscuit
– chicken breast, steamed vegetables
– stir-fry vegetables and whole grain pasta with herbed oil dressing
I will admit, this program makes seasonal holidays and eating out a bit of a challenge. I have heard it all – lots of whining and complaining about how hard the diet is. I know it’s a challenge. When I did the full-on anti-candida diet we had seven children at home – and I was the head chef in the family kitchen. I learned quickly that there was a lot of food we could still share as a family. Meat, eggs, most veggies, our favorite pancakes. I learned that when I made potatoes or pasta for the family, I could prepare a serving of veggies I liked and they didn’t. Those extra veggies became a real treat for me.The family didn’t suffer, and I didn’t have to cook two entirely separate meals. Why did I do that to myself when I actually didn’t have a yeast problem? Because the anti-candida diet is also an acid-reducing diet and I had begun to have serious arthritic symptoms in my hands. Six weeks on the anti-candida diet eliminated the pain and gave me my hands back. It was totally worth it!
Twenty years ago eating out was tough. We would go to a restaurant, and we would leave with me in tears because everything had a sauce or cheese or something that I couldn’t scrape off, but that I couldn’t eat while on the anti-candida program. Now, nearly any restaurant can do a plain grilled chicken breast, a clean salad, and sides of grilled veggies.
There are a lot of supplements that can work. I’m sharing with you the ones that have worked the best for my clients over the past 35 years. I suggest choosing a probiotic plus one other anti-yeast supplement.
Probiotic 11 has 6 billion probiotic cells per capsule, comprised of 11 different strains. This is a remarkable probiotic.
YF DTX (Yeast/Fungal Detox). I have seen this supplement, when coupled with diet, reduce vaginal yeast symptoms to almost nothing within 48 hours. This is loaded with caprylic acid, echinacea purpurea, oregano leaves, garlic, pau d’arco, zinc, and selenium, so it covers most of the individual herbs that are recommended for anti-yeast work. It is not recommended for use by pregnant or breastfeeding women.
High Potency Garlic. Garlic has a long-standing reputation as being anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal (and some would add anti-social). When combined with Probiotic 11, it can do a powerful job of helping to control yeast – and it’s safe for pregnant and nursing moms.
Tea Tree Oil. I know the bottle says to not use this internally. When it comes to yeast I have used it by mouth. Here’s what I did: one drop of tea tree oil in four ounces of water, drink it down; repeat twice per day until the yeast is well and truly under control.
Getting candida under control is totally do-able. It takes work and close attention to detail, and it is so worth it in the end!
If you have concerns about your health, or just don’t know where to begin making improvements, please contact me, Judith Cobb, to book an appointment. Skype, phone, webinar, and face-to-face appointments are available.
Products mentioned above:
|Nature’s Sunshine Products CANADA||Nature’s Sunshine Products USA|
|Probiotic 11||Probiotic 11|
|YF DTX||Yeast/Fungal Detox|
|Garlic, High Potency||Garlic, High Potency|
|Tea Tree Authentic Oil is available through the|
Sunshine Direct program (contact Nature’s Sunshine
Canada at 1-800-265-9163 for instructions)
or by special order from Cobblestone Health
(firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-850-5503).
|Tea Tree Authentic Oil|
Copyright © 2015 by Judith Cobb, Cobblestone Health Ltd. All rights reserved. Please respect the time it takes to write and publish articles. If you will link to this article and give proper attribution, you are encouraged to quote sections (though not the entire article).